Thursday 30 April 2009

what kind of kids are some parents raising?

Yesterday morning after dropping Drew off at school, I happened to see this mother and daughter running towards the school. It was approaching time when the school gate was to be closed, so obviously they were trying to beat the time. What disturbed me was, the girl (sec 1/2 maybe) was running in front, empty handed. While the 40-50yo mother was running behind her, carrying the daughter's heavy backpack and her own handbag!? The first question that ran thru my mind was, "why cant the girl take her bag and run for school? why must the mother run with her and carry her bag??" If we're talking about a primary 1/2 kid, I can understand, but a secondary school student? And mind you, she's same height as her mother and of average size. I dun understand?

This morning, I saw the same mother and daughter. This time round, they were on early. Daughter was munching on a bun, while mother was carrying the backpack again. And guess what? She was combing her daughter's hair as they walked!!!!??? Dun a 13/14yo know how to comb her own hair? This makes me wonder, does her mum have to change her into her uniform at home too??

I think this is just a trigger point for me to pen my thots. Prior to this, I've already seen so many cases of kids being spoilt in various ways.

Poor helper has to cycle her 14/15yo charge from the bus stop home. And when they approach an up-slope, she had to get off the bike to push bcos she has not enough strength, while the girl just continued sitting on the bike!? The girl was of better built than the helper and definitely same height, if not taller. gosh!

Another helper had to carry the heavy school bag plus files for a pri 5/6 boy. The boy is half a head taller than her and 1.5-times her size!?

Gosh! are we really raising next generation of princes and princesses? I really 'no eye see' ah!

1 comment:

Amaline said...

Tell me about it Carol, years ago I saw a mom feeding a P3 or P4 boy dinner while he was playing his gameboy. Piang, my kids already learnt to eat themselves when they were 5 yrs old.