Thursday 3 July 2008

Do people still proofread or edit stuff??!!

Can you see what's wrong with this 歇后语? I was quite surprise to spot the mistake bcos this 歇后语 was in this primary guide book published by a long standing Chinese school/guide books publisher! How can they mix up the 布料的布 and 脚步的步?? It's totally different thing! Gosh! 真是误人子弟啊!!

Then yesterday, while flipping the newspapers, I spotted something else that made me burst out laughing!!

Can you see what's wrong with the word that I 'boxed' out in red?? And again, this is a magazine that's meant for primary kids. And to think the editors can make a mistake even on such simple things, I really have doubts about the accuracy of the contents. and the more surprising thing is, this mag is endorsed by BBC!?

Found this on the web:
pro·jec·tor
1. an apparatus for throwing an image on a screen, as a motion-picture projector or magic lantern.
2. a device for projecting a beam of light.

pro·trac·tor
1. A semicircular instrument for measuring and constructing angles.

I wonder if I should write in to both publishers and 'wake' them up! They both obviously hv proofreaders and editors who've been sleeping on their job. Or maybe they've been so underpaid that they just can't be bothered to check. hmm.......

No comments: