Sunday 13 July 2008

In pain...

Jus when we thot everything looks fine, Dad woke up with aching right leg yesterday. He had pain on the side of his right knee and foot. Took him quite a bit of effort to walk downstairs and even going to the toilet, he needed Mum's help. But he didn't complain much, and didn't want to take pain killer when I offered him. Got a hot pack fm the pharmacy to help sooth the pain. It worked for short term relief.

His appetite is also getting bad. I tried talking him into eating small meals or at least drink milk to keep up his nutrition. Can see that he's forcing himself to down the food that we give him. Checked and he confirmed that his throat and mouth are fine, no sores or anything. Just that he doesn't feel hungry or urge to eat at all.

Then it's his skin. Getting very dry and itchy. As I've told him not to scratch, he jus 'strokes' his hands and legs when the itch comes. This also caused his skin to have a rash. The inner side of his arms, thighs and body are all big patches of redness. Looking at it already send my skin itching, wonder how Dad could withstand it. Bought Cetaphil cleansing lotion for his shower and applied Jergens super heal moisturising lotion for him. His skin seems less flaky and he said the itch is lesser. But wondering if he's just saying it so that I wont be so worried. Also checked with Cat last night and confirmed that it shd not be allergic reaction to any medicine.

Thankfully this time round, Dad has no fever. Though he felt a bit 'warm' in the afternoons, but temperature checks record no fever. One consolation. Jus hv to continue monitoring him.

I think the word WORRIED is definitely 'written' all over my face. Dad seems to be reassuring me again and again that he's not worried and he's positive about the whole treatment. He kept telling me not to be worried. Do I really look very worried? Maybe...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know its very hard for you but you must be strong.Although we are not there beside you, we know how u feel exactly.Dont worry, he'll be fine.we'll fight this together with you.

love,
your sister

Anonymous said...

Carol

My mom also gets her outbreak of rashes all over her body when she first started her bout of cancer medication. She was then prescribed some mild steroid cream for the rashes. Do check with your dad's doctor if he could be prescribed some. The most important thing for cancer patients is the quality of life and we must try our best to keep them as comfortable as possible. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carol,

When I had rashes and my skin "peeled and cracked" during my chemo (chemo can be very dehydrating on the skin), I applied QV cream which helped. Apply when the skin is slightly wet so that when it dries, the cream can be easily absorbed. Eucerin cream is another good alternative.

HTHs

Rgds